Main Page & News

Stories

Tonearm pages

Vinyl

Digital

Amps

Speaker

Recording

Links

Legal Notice

Restoration of a Garrard 301

I bought a Garrard 301 on Ebay in pretty bad shape, but cheap enough to dare it anyway. I suppose you know about this record player. In case you don't just Google for it or look at 'Vinylengines' dedicated Garrard Forum.

Let's sum up the condition on arrival: The speed and Power switches were broken. The platter was oxidated. The main bearing worked silent, just as the motor.I decided to disassemble the unit completly, in order to have the metal parts glass-blasted. This way it is possible to get rid of the oxidated coat. Remember to seal the bearing shaft and the inside of the platter with cardboard and tape.

 

The suffering platter, and in greater detail.

 

Glass blast was also taken as an option for all the switching rig. A manual cleaning did not show the desired result. Also the coating contains Cadmium, blasting it away would be a good idea. It is the yellowish stuf on all the levers. Of course this procedure gets rid of all kind of grease and dirt collected over the years.

 

The blasted parts, like new, just brush the remaining blast particles away.

 

After painting the platter new I manually filed the strobe marks back to shininess. Took about 90 mins.

 

 

 

What about the ground plate? I decided not to remove the original emanel paint. It was polished, but the result showed still some little marks and the color seemed old. It became yellowish. So I spray painted it with a cream white car color close to the original. The picture shows the 'before'.


 

 

The Motor was disassembled and cleaned. Especially the lower bearing collected some sticky grease. The ball in the center did not move. Clean and relube with grease. I took Shimano Bicycle grease. it is high quality and I had it...

 

 

 

 

I assembled everything on a MDF board. it is not supposed to be the final plinth, it is a mere test rig. The fine adjustment of the assembly takes some time untill everything works as it should. Especially the correct running of the eddy current brake needs some extra adjustments.

 

 

 

In order to control the vibration and rumble caused by the motor a nice adjustable stepped power supply is used. Running on a slightly lower voltage reduces the noise substantially. With a lower voltage it would run too slow, unless the speed knob is put on the 'fast' side to compensate for the lower voltage.

 

 

I have ordered the new levers from Emporiumhifi. For the plinth I will go for a low mass approach. I will not use the usual Birch plywood approach.To be continued. Work in progress Octobre 30th:Here is a working setup that works actually surprisingly good. It uses the simple 22mm MDF board and some 9cm long 'broom stick' as support. The arm is a SME 3012 with a massive bronze base (Thanks to Mark Malkwitz for lending the combo to me). I have already tried a Denon 103R, an older Audio Technica OC7 and an Ikeda 9 as cartridges.

 

 

The sound is marvelous. Of course once I had a running combination I wanted to listen to it immediatly. I was amazed from the start. Very silent, no annoyances in sound, beautiful to make it short.

The board is a 22mm MDF, 57,5 x 47,5 cm, the broom stick legs are 25mm of diameter and 9cm long. The setup is just intermediate, but although it is resting partly on the carpet it is perfectly leveled. Stay tuned.

 

Thomas Schick, Berlin, Germany

Back to Top